První zaměstnanci závodu Baťa, a. s., Zruč nad Sázavou, před špýcharem na fotografii ze 17. 7. 1939 (Photoclub Zruč nad Sázavou).

Zruč Courtyard

The purchase contract of 14 February 1939, by which the Bata Concern, a. s., Zlín, acquired the land for the construction of a new factory town in Zruč nad Sázavou, included, among other things, the courtyard of the Zruč castle, which became the centre of all company activities in the first months of the Bata Concern's operation in Zruč. Its location on the edge of the castle grounds was the closest of the original Zruč buildings to the newly emerging factory district.

marker

1. máje čp. 2

View on map

Today's Zručský dvůr was built on the initiative of Adolf Schebek as a new building as part of a major reconstruction of the Zruč castle in 1891–1909. Adolf Schebek inherited the Zruč manor from his father Jan, who had been the owner since 1885. The Schebeks were in the railway construction business and transformed the original Baroque chateau into a representative residence in the Neo-Gothic style. This was also connected with the need to build suitable economic facilities. The original outbuildings were therefore demolished and replaced by new buildings after 1889.

The farmstead was rectangular in plan and consisted of several separate buildings. There were stables, stables, stables, barns, a poultry house and a smokehouse. The dominant buildings were the distillery and the clerk's building, which were adjacent to the road to Chabeřice. The main entrance to the site was situated between these two buildings. In the middle of the courtyard there was a distillery. All the buildings were built in a uniform style of historicist romanticism with decorative elements, in a combination of stone and brick unplastered masonry. In its conception and design, the Zručský dvůr was one of the most modern farmsteads in Bohemia at the time.

Shortly after the purchase of the land, production machines were transported from Zlín and the first workshop was opened on 29 May 1939 in the local granary. It specialized in the production of heavy work shoes with wooden soles and textile uppers and operated here until the end of 1939, when it was moved to the newly completed first production building. The original office building of the estate was occupied by the management of the branch plant of Bata, a. s., Zruč nad Sázavou, headed by the newly appointed plant manager Leopold Klatil. He managed both the production in temporary conditions and the construction of the new town, in which about three hundred masons participated. Around 150 employees worked in the shoe workshop. These were mainly young women and men from Zlín, graduates of the Bata School of Labour, who were offered employment in the new young industrial town. Most of them, however, had to cope with the reality of a rural town where everything modern was just being born.

Bohuslav Lichorobiec's recollections published in the company newspaper Sázavan in 1959 prove this: '[...] Just as we had recovered a little from the circuitous ride, another surprise awaited us when we got off in the yard of what is now the state farm. After a welcoming ceremony, we were told that this was our workplace, and that tomorrow we would go to see the five-storey building. In the meantime, we had to accept that our temporary neighbors would be cows and other cattle. The sanitary facilities weren't ready yet. We used to wash at the common trough of the barnyard animals. After this discovery, several of us went in search of the modern building. You say look, but where? As far as the eye could see, it was all grain. Where our family quarter now stands, there was a field of rye. After a long search, during which we were attracted by the surroundings and the river, we finally found our building - but only in plan. There were only stakes hammered in and planks laid where the foundations were yet to be dug [...]."

The administrative building of the economic yard as a temporary headquarters of the management of the Bata, a. s., Zruč nad Sázavou factory, in a photograph from June 1939 (Zruč nad Sázavou Photoclub).

Marie Pohůnková experienced a similar disillusionment from her first visit to Zruč nad Sázavou: "[...] From the railway station we waded in the mud, we girls in our 'semis', and did not have time to admire the so-called 'mixed shops' such as the 'Confectionery and Stationery' or the 'Bakery and Watchmaker'. It is understandable that after Zlín everything seemed so strange, small and - pardon the expression - stupid, even the accommodation of the boys in the inn (now Pramen) and the girls in the yard. We were glued to each other, we couldn't even walk between the beds [...]."

Anna Severová also recalled the working conditions in the premises of the Zruč Granary with the lack of production materials: '[...] One incident also stuck in my mind. The fact that we had a shortage of machine parts was nothing new. And so our ring maker Jindra, when his toothbrush from the machine wore out, solved it in an original way. He ran to the stable next door, cut off a piece of the horse's tail, made a brush out of the veins, and the ringing went on. There were many incidents like this and others like it on a daily basis [...]." After a few months, production moved from the makeshift conditions to the first factory building, which offered a very modern working environment. A second workshop was opened there. Due to the lack of accommodation, it served temporarily as a men's and women's dormitory.

After nationalisation, the farmstead was transferred to the state farm and remained almost unchanged until the turn of the millennium, when it was given conservation status in the ownership of the town. Several entrepreneurs operated here, and part of it was used as accommodation, but the overall condition was dismal. In recent years, the existing buildings have been renovated in several stages to meet the current needs of the town. Small flats, a boating museum and an outdoor market have been created. Part of the space is rented out for business and restaurant operations, and cultural events are held in the newly paved courtyard. The original shoe factory, where the oldest Bata shoe production in Zruč started, is still waiting for its new, possibly even museum use.

Author of the article

Author profile picture

Mgr. Jana Tomalová

Mgr. Jana Tomalová (1988) studied at the Seminar of Art History at Masaryk University in Brno. In her graduation theses she focused on the specific architecture and urbanism of the Bata concern, especially Zruč nad Sázavou, from which she comes. In Zruč she is involved in activities connected with the Bata concern. She contributed a chapter on the construction of the factory town to the comprehensive publication Zruč nad Sázavou (2018).

Location

< another object on the trail