Příprava stavby společenského domu: v pozadí tovární budovy, dřevěné ubikace a vila vedoucího závodu na fotografii z 6. 8. 1940 (Photoclub Zruč nad Sázavou).

Community House

The last reinforced concrete building that was completed in Zruč nad Sázavou - Bat'a before the Protectorate authorities stopped construction in 1942 was the Community House. It was to become the centre of social and cultural life in the young factory town with its two halls, cinema hall, shops, services and accommodation. However, some of its premises were initially used for purposes other than those intended, as the civic amenities were still insufficient in the dynamically developing town.

marker

Peace Square No. 594

View on map

The important position in the local infrastructure was matched by the external form of the community centre. Although we could find many common elements across the community houses built around 1940 by the Bata, a. s., Zlín concern, their authors tried to take an individual approach to each of them. The zručský one stands out in particular for its plastered decorative facade, which was untypical for Bata's architectural visual character. According to the signed drawings, the author of the design was Miroslav Drofa; the participation of Vladimír Karfík, who is credited with co-authorship in the literature and was at that time the head of the design department of the construction office of the Bata concern, a. s., Zlín, is possible.

The preparatory work for the construction of the social house began at the end of the summer of 1940. In October, the sliding formwork for the construction of the reinforced concrete skeleton from the just completed construction of the Second Production Building was moved here. By the summer of 1941, the frame was completed and the lining work continued. Construction was slowed down by the intervention of the occupation authorities, who tried to stifle the construction of Bata, and so the community centre was not opened until the spring of 1942. A condition for the completion of the works in progress was submission to the visual style of the architecture of Nazi Germany. The design published in the Zlín newspaper on 30 April 1941 envisaged large-format windows on the second floor, where the ballrooms were located. However, smaller windows were implemented, which corresponded with the windows of the hotel rooms on the other floors. The hipped roof and the brizolitic plaster with decorative window framing and cornice above the second floor were also in keeping with the period. The construction drawings also included sculptures on the corners of the second floor, but these were not realised. The State District Archive in Zlín also contains an unspecified design of the social house, which corresponds in layout exactly to the house in Zruč, but with a large amount of brick cladding on its facade. It may thus be one of the first designs or a conceptual study that could have been a preview for the realisation of the zruč social house.

Construction of the reinforced concrete skeleton: 22 April 1941 (Photoclub Zruč nad Sázavou).

However, the Bata influence is undeniable in the functional and structural design. The ground floor was to house shops, services and a cinema, while the first representative floor was to be filled with two halls and a restaurant. The other three floors were used for hotel rooms. The entrances from the street to the individual establishments on the first floor were covered by a concrete canopy that encircled the entire building on three sides. Above it there were a number of low windows for better illumination of the business premises. The central entrance to the public house was emphasised by a balcony on the second floor, while the rear facade was dominated by a curved staircase bay running through all floors. On the south side, towards the factory, an extension was built with an entrance to the biograph, on the roof of which a terrace was created. The distinctive crown cornice, used on a wide range of buildings at this time, is also an original Bat'a decorative element.

The structure of the social house consists of a standardised reinforced concrete frame used in the construction of factory buildings. The 6.15m column spacing is broken at the site of the cinema and the large ballroom above. In order to increase the uniformity of the space, massive pillars with a square cross-section were built here, allowing a span of 10 m. In the large hall, the reinforcements above the pillars can be seen, which support the columns on the other floors at regular intervals of 6.15 m. It is interesting to note that two types of columns were used in the construction of the zruci community centre. On the ground floor, columns with a square cross-section are used, while on the other floors square columns are placed only around the perimeter of the structure and the internal columns have a standard round cross-section, as do the columns supporting the balcony above the entrance. The building has been partially basemented in its central part, while at the same time the sloping auditorium of the cinema has been recessed below ground level. On the flat roof a wooden truss was erected, supporting a hipped roof made of burnt tiles.

The building of the community centre in a photograph from 10 July 1941 (Photoclub Zruč nad Sázavou).

The materials and decorative elements used in the interior point to its prominent position in urban construction. Decorative cornices in the halls, embossed plaster or wooden panelling in the common areas are encountered here. Wood was also used to build the reception or telephone booths in the hotel lobby. Glass partitions separated the halls on the second floor and the corridors to the rooms from the staircase. In the large hall a parquet dance floor was made, in the other rooms we can see xylolite flooring or terrace tiles. The staircase was made of stone with a wooden handrail, the alternative being a passenger lift. Of course, it was connected to the electricity, water and sewage networks. Heating was designed as district heating, supplied from a nearby boiler room in the factory premises.

The cinema room, which could also be used for theatre performances, occupied the largest area of the right part of the first floor of the community centre. It had a capacity of 380 seats and included several service rooms. The entrance area with the box office was followed by a foyer with a buffet, dressing room and toilets, behind the stage there were facilities for actors and four exits led directly from the hall. Around the perimeter of the theatre were shops and services with a smaller sales area with separate entrances from the street. A dairy, meat shop, drugstore, newsagent, laundry, tailor, milliner, barber and hairdresser were planned. In the second half of the first floor, a cafeteria was planned with a separate entrance from the street with kitchen and staff facilities. The main entrance was followed by a hotel lobby with a reception desk, from which a double staircase led to the upper floors. Directly opposite the staircase on the second floor was to be a cloakroom, behind which was a separate guest lounge. A large hall was situated in the right-hand part of the ballroom, which was to serve as a café outside social events. There was a small kitchen between the staircase and the hall and a backstage area for performers on the opposite side, which gave access to the terrace above the cinema entrance. On the left side of the second floor there was a large kitchen, an anteroom and a small hall adjoining it, which was to serve the restaurant. Due to the sloping terrain, the entrance to the small hall could be created directly from the park above the community centre. The sanitary facilities were then situated between the staircase and the kitchen on the side of the small hall.

Zruč inhabitants in front of the community centre: probably photographed in the first half of the 1950s (Zruč nad Sázavou Photoclub).

The third to fifth floors were used for accommodation, so they were divided into individual hotel rooms, which in size corresponded to one construction unit. They were connected by a corridor running across the entire width of the social house. Apart from the furniture, the only other equipment was a washbasin; the sanitary facilities were shared on both sides of the staircase. We would find a separate small cloakroom, toilets, showers and baths. The middle part opposite the staircase on the third floor was occupied by the clubhouse of the graduates of the Bata School of Labour. Next to the sanitary facilities on the left part, a machine room was built, from which one could go via the kitchen on the second floor to the ground floor via a spiral operating staircase.

The community centre became operational in the spring of 1942, although its facade was only completed on the front side. The biograph started its regular operation and a shop and a library with a reading room were set up on the second floor. Specialist shops and services were opened on the ground floor. Staff were accommodated in the hotel rooms due to housing shortages. At the end of the Second World War, the social house served briefly as an infirmary for Red Army soldiers, and shortly afterwards as a warehouse for confiscated property of collaborators, Jews and Germans. The use of the other rooms changed over time. In place of the planned cafeteria on the ground floor, a shop selling food and other goods was built, which was there until the opening of the Sázavanka department store in 1977. Similarly, smaller shops changed their function and there appeared, for example, a fruit and vegetable shop, a bookshop, an optician, a jewellery shop and others. In the small hall, the factory canteen was operated instead of a restaurant until 1982, when it was moved to the second factory building. A wine bar was built in the former ABŠ clubhouse on the second floor. In the large hall, a restaurant operated instead of a café. Large social events were held here and the filming of the film "The Love of a Mermaid" took place here in the 1960s.

Workers removing the rafters of the original roof in a photo from 1948 (Photoclub Zruč nad Sázavou).

Shortly after the Second World War, in 1948 to be precise, the hipped roof was torn down, which could be perceived as a symbol of the Nazi forced administration. It was probably not until 1956 that the facade was completed and in the following years a second row of columns was added under the balcony due to poor statics. In the second half of the 1950s, the second floor was also reconstructed, when holes were punched for the large-format windows that were originally planned for the zruci community centre. At the same time, the side entrance to the small hall was removed. In this form, without any major structural interventions, the social house - now more often called a hotel - remained until the turn of the millennium.

The common house after the reconstruction of the windows on the second floor (Photoclub Zruč nad Sázavou).

The 1990s brought changes both in the social and economic field. The cinema ceased operations around the mid-1990s and many smaller shops were closed down. In 1996 it was privatised, but no major changes were made and the hotel was in a deplorable state. Several bars or clubs operated in its premises, with occasional children's events in the large hall, and later entertainment and discos. Public auctions were held in 2008 and 2009. Changes occurred only in 2016, when the community centre was partially renovated by the current owner and operator. The modifications were mainly made to the interior, with significant changes to the entrance hall, restaurant, ballrooms, several rooms and sanitary facilities. The main change in the exterior was the entrance area, where the columns and walls were clad with polished stone and the direct entrance to the small hall was restored.

The interior of the biograph in 1980 (Photoclub Zruč nad Sázavou).

Hotel Zruč now offers accommodation in both renovated rooms and original rooms. It operates a restaurant and there are several landlords operating in the business premises. The social halls are used for cultural events, mostly initiated by the town or local associations. Irreparable damage was caused by the renovation of the cinema, whose floor was leveled and is now used as a grocery store. Despite some major changes, the former community centre retains its original character, both formally and functionally. It is still the centre of cultural events in Zruč nad Sázavou.

Author of the article

Author profile picture

Mgr. Jana Tomalová

Mgr. Jana Tomalová (1988) studied at the Seminar of Art History at Masaryk University in Brno. In her graduation theses she focused on the specific architecture and urbanism of the Bata concern, especially Zruč nad Sázavou, where she comes from. In Zruč she is involved in activities connected with the Bata concern. She contributed a chapter on the construction of the factory town to the comprehensive publication Zruč nad Sázavou (2018).

Location

< another object on the trail