
In the 1940s, one of the biggest problems of Bata's Zruč nad Sázavou was the lack of accommodation capacity, which was getting worse and worse due to the ongoing war conflict. Since 1942, there has been virtually no new construction in the entire town. Therefore, after 1945, the housing issue became one of the main topics for the new leadership of the local National Committee. However, it was necessary to draw up a new regulation plan, which, after delays, was not approved until 1948. The ever-persistent problem with the supply of building materials prolonged the construction and forced the construction of new residential buildings in smaller units.
The first post-war project in Baťa, which was built within the framework of the two-year economic plan for the reconstruction of Czechoslovakia (the so-called Two-Year Plan), was a set of three apartment houses. A plot of land along the railway line behind a row of second-stage semi-detached houses in Okružní Street was chosen for the construction. The project was approved in 1946, but construction took place between 1947 and 1948. In this case, too, it was an import of Zlín Bata architecture to Zruč nad Sázavou. Identical houses, however, with a typical brick facade and slight gradation of individual sections, stand in the Fučík quarter of Zlín - Obeciny. The author of the design was the leading Bata architect Vladimír Karfík, who left for Bratislava in 1946, but still worked on projects for the nationalised Bata company, later the national enterprise Svit. Both housing complexes were built in parallel, but more residential buildings were built in Zlín and their construction continued in later stages.
The three-storey houses no. 706-714, which are still called Dvouletky, gave their name to the adjacent street. In their time, the Dvouletky offered higher comfort of living. There were three- and four-room flats with an area of about 60-70 m2. Atypical flats were situated on the edges of the building: on the left side, as seen from the entrance, were four-room flats, on the opposite side of the building was a standard three-room flat, enlarged, however, by a bay window with a corner window, giving more light to the living room. Each apartment had its own balcony with an interestingly designed curved balustrade. The furnishings included an equipped kitchen, built-in wardrobes in a small dressing room and a bathroom. In the smaller apartments, the toilet was located in the bathroom, in the four-room apartments it was separate; a small pantry was adjacent to the kitchen. The basement had cellars and common areas for washing and drying clothes. Each entrance had a waste drop and its own incinerator. The construction of the house was brick with a concrete foundation and flat roof. The facade was plainly plastered with no other decorative features.
The houses are currently insulated and the windows have been replaced. However, they still retain their original character and offer living on the border between the city and the open countryside.