Semi-detached house Zruč 1939

The most common type of company dwelling house in Zruč nad Sázavou - The Baťov district were semi-detached houses. They were inhabited by employees who stood approximately in the middle of the local company's professional hierarchy. A total of 108 semi-detached houses were built in Zruč, of which 75 were of the Zruč 1939 type.

marker

Zámecká no. 417, 418

Show on map

The lowest and quantitatively most widespread comfort of mass housing was offered by apprentice and student dormitories and bachelor quarters for unmarried employees. This was followed by more individual family housing in four- and two-family houses. Typized single-family homes were for higher-ranking employees, such as accountants or teachers. The Bata, a. s., Zlín concern built individualised modernist villas for employees in managerial positions.

Concreting the road in Okružní Street in a photograph from 11 September 1939 (Photoclub Zruč nad Sázavou).
Section, view and floor plan of the basement, ground floor, first floor and attic spaces of Zruč semi-detached houses 1939 (Zruč nad Sázavou Municipal Office, Department of Building Office, Planning and Environment).
Eastern and northern view of the Ruč double houses 1939 (Zruč nad Sázavou Municipal Office, Department of Building Office, Planning and Environment).

After the temporary dormitory and wooden houses, it was the semi-detached houses that the company started to build as the first residential buildings. The oldest semi-detached houses are located along Okružní Street, originally called A Street. The first 25 semi-detached houses were built between 16 May 1939 (application for building permit) and 20 December 1939, when the application for approval was submitted. However, it is clear from contemporary photographs that by the end of 1939 the first semi-detached houses did not have their facades completed.

Approximately a month later, further construction began in the streets perpendicular to Okružní Street, from Zámecká Street down to the factory site. Here, in addition to the semi-detached houses, single-family houses and four-family houses were built in parallel. The first houses in this area were completed at the turn of 1939 and 1940, the lower part of the estate closer to the factory was completed in the summer of 1940. At the same time as the houses were being built, the surrounding area was being landscaped. In September 1939, concrete work began on Okružní Street, and in the spring of 1940, hedges and trees were planted. In other streets, the landscaping of public spaces depended on the progress of construction. In the photographs from the late summer of 1940, the entire district was already completed, including roads, sidewalks and green spaces.

The first completed street with semi-detached houses 1939 in the factory town Zruč nad Sázavou - Bat'ov in the photo from 27 March 1940 (Zruč nad Sázavou Photoclub).
The first inhabited but still unfinished semi-detached houses and their inhabitants in a photograph from 23 April 1940 (Photoclub Zruč nad Sázavou).

The plan layout of the zruč semi-detached house is based on the 1934 type, which was built extensively in the Díly district of Zlín. In contrast to the older types of Zlín houses with a staircase in the centre of the house, the staircase in the houses of the 1934 type was placed against the perimeter wall, thus achieving two separate entrances to the rooms on the first floor. The new houses had brick partitions instead of the earlier wooden partitions. A new element in Zruč nad Sázavou was also a wide cornice, which was missing in the older types of houses. In addition, the double house Zruč 1939 was enlarged by an extension, which created a larger hallway and a separate pantry. A small terrace was situated on the roof of the extension. Unlike the Zlín semi-detached houses, the Zruč semi-detached houses were plastered.

The Zruč 1939 semi-detached house offered a slightly higher level of comfort than the older types of Bata houses. The front door was located in an extension and was covered by a small canopy. The entrance bay opened into a hallway from which it was possible to enter the pantry, bathroom with toilet, kitchen and living room. The living room and the parents' bedroom were the largest living rooms with an area of 15 m². A staircase led from the living room to the first floor, where it led to a small hallway with separate access to the two bedrooms. The parents' bedroom included a built-in wardrobe. The children's bedroom (11 m²) led to a terrace located on the roof of the annexe.

Summer 1940 in the first inhabited semi-detached houses (Photoclub Zruč nad Sázavou).
Summer 1940 in the first inhabited semi-detached houses (Photoclub Zruč nad Sázavou).

The semi-detached house was fully electrified and connected to the water and sewage network. The partially basemented building had a concrete foundation, the upper structure was made in brickwork, including interior partitions. The ceilings were wooden, the floor in the living rooms was wooden planked, in the other rooms it was painted with cement screed. The semi-detached house also included a bath stove, a boiler for laundry, a bathtub, a sink and a toilet. The total living area of the dwelling unit in the semi-detached house was approximately 60 m².

Similarly to the single houses, the facades of the semi-detached houses were designed in a variable way. There are four types of solutions for the space around the windows. These are either simple framing, the use of contrasting wider bands on the sides of the windows, or throughout the space between the windows. On some facades a combination of the last two options has been used, i.e. highlighting both the space between the windows and the sides of the windows. The highlighting of the windows is done either with a visual brick or with a darker or lighter shade of plaster. Sometimes the window highlighting is further emphasised in an embossed manner. This solution applies to the windows on the front and rear facade, but it is also used for some other windows. The two-colour design of the facade can be seen on several houses from period photographs: the ground floor up to the bottom line of the first floor windows was plastered in a darker shade, while the rest of the first floor was light.

General view of Zruč nad Sázavou - Bat'ov (Zruč nad Sázavou Photoclub).
Okružní Street in a photograph from 1941 (Photoclub Zruč nad Sázavou).

In the years after the Second World War the settlement underwent several changes. In 1951-1955 the houses were covered with hipped roofs. The houses were gradually modified and various verandas were created, which covered the staircase and the entrance to the house. However, it is only in recent years that the houses have undergone the most changes, with additions, facade insulation, and window replacements being frequent. The original features are disappearing very quickly. Some owners at least preserve the exterior appearance with the use of exposed brick or colour differentiation in the window area.

The author of the article

Author profile picture

Mgr. Jana Tomalová

Mgr. Jana Tomalová (1988) studied at the Seminar of Art History at Masaryk University in Brno. In her graduation thesis she focused on the specific architecture and urbanism of the Bata concern, especially Zruč nad Sázavou, from which she comes. In Zruč she is involved in activities connected with the Bata concern. She contributed a chapter on the construction of the factory town to the comprehensive publication Zruč nad Sázavou (2018).

Location

< another object on the trail